What To Do When Death Occurs
Through difficult moments and the days after loss, we’re here to help.
Your mind is spinning in a million different directions right now. That’s why we want to make it easy for you by answering your questions, making the process as simple and straightforward as possible, and educating you on what needs to be done in these situations.
Remember, you are never alone. You can always reach out with questions at any time.
1. Notify the right people
Is the deceased at home or work, or are they under supervised care?
At home or work:
- Call emergency personnel or their physician
- Call the police if no one was there at the time of death
- Call the funeral home then the cemetery
Please remember, you can always call us at Memorial Park Cemetery if you are unsure.
Under supervised care:
- Call the funeral home
- Call the cemetery
The staff will notify the rest of the necessary personnel and funeral home on your behalf.
2. Widen the circle
- Begin discussing arrangements with the funeral home
- Notify other family members
- Contact any clergy or other spiritual advisers
3. Answer any key questions about arrangements
Was there a pre-plan in place? If so, your loved one has taken care of all the details and just wishes for you to celebrate their life. If the death is more sudden or a plan is not in place, don’t worry, there are just a few key steps for you to take care of:
- Determine after-life choices
- Do you need embalming?
- Do you need a casket?
- Do you need to make cemetery arrangements?
- Choose the type of service
- Do you need a minister or other clergy member?
- What type of service do you want to have?
- Contact the cemetery for help
Please remember you don’t need to know all the answers - that’s why we’re here, to walk you through anything at all, at any time.
4. Talk to the cemetery
We will walk you through any choices that need to be made and will let you know what you need to bring with you.
Everything you need to know about funeral and cemeteries.
How to truly support yourself and others at a time of grief.
Let us guide you through the ins and outs of your cemetery experience.
Local resources for all your support and planning needs.